A quick start guide to transferring your domains and web hosting from an external provider
This guide is designed to break down the transfer procedure into easily followed steps, and to maximise site up-time. This assumes that you have already set-up an account. If downtime is not a concern, you do not need to set up a domain reference, simply transfer in the domain and set up a package from there.
Add a domain reference.
- A domain reference allows our system to direct traffic for an external domain that you own or control.
- From your Control Panel, go to 'Order => Web Hosting' from the left-hand menu
- Enter the domain that you wish to transfer in the lower box
- Enter your new domain and hit 'Continue' Note: domains take the form example.com. Do not include subdomains (e.g. www).
Transferring your files to your new package.
- Download your files (and databases, if included) from your old provider. We recommend doing this via FTP, Filezilla (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php) is an excellent choice of client.
- From your Control Panel, go to 'Manage => Web Hosting' from the left-hand menu
- Look on the right, take note of your FTP details (username, password, IP address of FTP server).
- Unlock FTP permanently by IP, for a suitable period of time.
- Upload your website using the credentials you noted down.
- If your site contains a MySQL database, go to the 'MySQL Databases' section of cPanel, create a new database, then use our integrated tool to upload it (note: Do not use PHPMyAdmin, it has a 2mb size limit which will stop you uploading).
- Mailboxes, if required, can also be set up within cPanel.
- Your site should now be ready to go.
Update your domain's nameservers to point at us, they are as follows:
- Your site will automatically begin working, once your DNS changes have propagated.
Transfer your domain, the process varies, depending upon domain type.
- uk : Ensure that the IPS tag has been set to ENCODE. Speak to your current domain provider about this. The IPS tag is what associates a domain with a specific provider.
- eu : A confirmation request will be sent to the billing handle for your domain - this will normally be set to your domain provider, in which case no further action is required from yourself.
- gTLD (.com/.net/.org/.name) :
- First, you will need to contact your current registrar, and ensure that the domain is unlocked.
- You should also request the transfer auth code (sometimes known as the EPP).
- Finally, ensure that the domain's administrative contact email address is set to a mailbox that you have access to. Once the transfer request is made, an email will then be sent from the registry to the administrative contact address. This email contains the necessary instructions to authorise the transfer.
- Transfers take a maximum of seven days to complete from point of authorisation.
To request a transfer, follow the steps below:
Once you have the hosting account, email addresses and website setup to your needs the next setup is to transfer your domain
- From your Control Panel, Click 'Order>Transfer a Domain' from the left-hand menu.
- Enter the URL of your domain in the box at the bottom, then click 'Start Transfer' .
- This will place the domain in your basket; this is accessible from the top right-hand side of the screen.
- Click 'Checkout Now'.
- Scroll to the bottom and click 'order'
- Click 'Agree'.
- Click 'Complete Purchase'.
As always, if you need support during this process we are help. Just raise a support ticket and we will ensure your move to Encode is a smooth journey