As well as the space to hold your website, your new hosting package offers you unlimited email addresses. I want to run through some of the terminology that surround this part of your package and the tools that you have available to manage the routing and delivery of email on your domain.
- Webmail : Webmail is a means to viewing and sending email within a web browser whilst the emails are sorted online.
- Email : Electronic mail, most commonly referred to as email or e-mail, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. To achieve this, a desktop client i.e. Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, or use or webmail is needed.
- POP : POP supports simple download-and-delete requirements for access to remote mailboxes. Although most POP clients have an option to leave mail on server after download, e-mail clients using POP generally connect, retrieve all messages, store them on the user's PC as new messages, delete them from the server, and then disconnect.
- IMAP : IMAP supports both online and offline modes of operation. E-mail clients using IMAP generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them. This and other characteristics of IMAP operation allow multiple clients to manage the same mailbox. Most email clients support IMAP in addition to Post Office Protocol (POP) to retrieve messages. IMAP offers access to the mail storage and as email clients may store local copies of the messages, but these are considered to be a temporary cache
- Email Forwarding : Email forwarding allows you to forward any email address from your domain to any email address you choose, for example a Hotmail or yahoo address. You can forward one address to up to ten different addresses.
- Catch All Email Forwarding : Catch All Email Forwarding allows you to forward all email from your domain to any email address you choose, for example a Hotmail or Gmail address.
- Email Mailing Lists : Email mailing lists allow you to send a single email to a group of people. Your customers can sign up to be added to the list by using the simple form included with this system. Please note that we do not tolerate unsolicited email, any customer who abuses this facility will have their account terminated and will be billed £750.
- Email Autoresponders : An email autoresponder sends an automatic email response to addresses you select.
- Junk Mail Filters : Junk mail filters use special technology to strip out junk mail before you receive it. You can also set an email address to send the junk mail to, so that you can check this address to ensure only junk mail is being caught, or just select to route such messages to a "Spam" folder in your mailbox.
You can apply junk mail filters on a per domain basis or on per email address basis.