Once your web site is up and running you are going to want to find out how it is performing. There are various tools to achieve this available under a free or open source route or proprietary license depending on how much advice or depth of knowledge you want to go into.
I will run though some options that are available directly from our hosting control panel.
- Sitemap : We have a tool called Google Sitemaps, which generates a list of all the files on your website and sends them to Google. This allows Google to ensure it finds all of your web pages and files. The software to generate a Sitemap is quite complicated but we have made it easy! Just click generate and we will create your Sitemap and send to Google if you wish.
- Webalizer Graphical Statistics : Webalizer is a highly detailed and easily configurable website statistics package that analyses the access log files that we automatically create for your website.
- AWStats Graphical Statistics : AWStats is powerful log analyzer which creates advanced web, ftp, mail and streaming server statistics reports based on the rich data contained in server logs. Data is graphically presented in easy to read web pages. Designed with flexibility in mind, AWStats can be run through a web browser CGI (common gateway interface) or directly from the operating system command line.
- Open Web Analytics : Open Web Analytics (OWA) is an open source web analytics framework written in PHP. OWA was born out of the need for an open source framework that could be used to easily add web analytics features to web sites and applications. The OWA framework also comes with built-in support for popular web applications such as WordPress and MediaWiki. As a generic web analytics framework, OWA can be extended to track and analyze any web application. Please note that installing this CGI Script will use one of your MySQL databases.
- Log File :We offer two types of log files
- Access Logs : These show the details of people or computers that have accessed your website. This will include search engines "crawling" your site for new content.
- Error Logs : These show any errors that your site has produced. This could be created by a mal-formed script or incorrectly configured site
- Bandwidth : When someone visits your website they use your bandwidth, the graphs and tables show the amount of bandwidth you have used.
- TraceWatch : Real Time Web Stats and Traffic Analysis lets you keep track of the visitors to your website in real-time with detailed statistics and deep analysis using an innovative user interface and helps you make your website more effective. Since V0.31 Tracewatch has been written for PHP5 and will not run using PHP4.
- Piwik : Piwik is a downloadable, open source (GPL licensed) real-time web analytics software program. It provides you with detailed reports on your website visitors: the search engines and keywords they used, the language they speak, your popular pages... and so much more.