- Subscriber is the default setting and it is for the basic user that can log in and read content. They can not post anything on the site itself aside from comments.
- Contributors are the next level up, they are granted access to the post-editor, and can submit content to the site blog for review. Contributors can not by default publish their own content or upload any media files to the site.
- Authors can do everything a contributor can do, but they are given the content to publish their own content and upload media to their own posts. They have the ability to add content without anyone checking it and they can edit their own content after it has been published. They can not however edit or modify any content that they did not create.
- Editors can do everything that authors can do but they are also given the ability to make modifications to content by other users on the site. This allows them to correct errors, or remove content altogether when other users create them.
- Administrators have complete control over everything on the site, such as themes, installing plug-ins, and user account creating and editing.
When you are satisfied with these settings, click: ‘add new user’ and your user will be added to the database.
To edit a user, navigate to the user button in the sidebar and select: all users’. You can modify a user by hovering over it and selecting edit. The edit profile screen gives even more options than when the user is created. You can assign a nickname for your user. And select how their name is publicly viewed on the front end of the site. When everything is as you want it, remember to click: ‘update user’ to save your settings.